Saturday, November 12, 2005

Café Carmelita

On the way home from the club tonight I had a craving for a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, there was nowhere in the area that was serving a decent cup of java at 2:00am, so when I dropped in to QFC to pick up some groceries, I checked out their coffee aisle. I wasn’t too very disappointed, they had a wide selection of whole-bean coffees by several roasters, but in lieu of Millstone or Seattle’s Best, I noticed they had coffee from Tony’s Coffee, in Bellingham. After perusing the selection, I chose to go with Tony’s Café Carmelita.



Café Carmelita



Incredibly smooth with sweet cocoa and caramel notes. Heavy syrupy body.



I ground the whole beans on “coarse” to use in my Brazil 8 cup french press by Bodum, and as I type it’s brewing. Without having tasted it, it has a VERY nice aroma, rich and very warm, almost spicy. The timer just went off, so I’m off to pour a cup.



It’s tangy, and flavorful. Very fulfilling, rich, and has a great character to it. I don’t know that I’d describe it as “caramelly” since it’s not richly sweet, in the way I associate with caramel, but it IS delicious, even without sugar and milk (the way I prefer my coffee). Not many coffees I find can be drunk as-is, but Tony’s Café Caramelita can definately hold it’s own. Very tasty, great for after dinner, I think. It also comes in water process decaf, which I can’t review since I don’t drink decaf coffee.



I think this coffee would be fantastic with a little bit of cream and a shortbread cookie.


link | Kristin W. posted at 5:45 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

go back to main page

Kristin Wenzel is the graphics and web designer for Information Society. She is a former barista and lifetime coffee/espresso enthusiast, and a recent convert to the ways of tea. She has found her home in San Francisco, CA.

Previous Posts Reading Material